Run For FREE Tuesdays @ 6:16pm and Saturdays @ 7:15pmStarting January 16,2023 to June 4, 2023Follow Us on social media for locations details / Instagram @blackflagrunningclub
Spring 2023: Full and Half Marathon Season
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Registration is Open: Spring Season 2023 (20 Weeks)
- San Diego Holiday Half Marathon (12/17/22)
Who and When:
- All levels of Runners: Beginner, Intermediate & PR Chasers (Advanced Level)
- First Group Run on Tuesday, 1/17/23
- Season Kick and OrientationTuesday, 1/17/23 at South Mission Beach: 339 N Jetty Rd, San Diego
Prices & Dates:
- $140 – Early Bird, ends 12/30/22
- $150 – Regular Rate, ends 1/30/23
Come see what we are all about and run the first 2 weeks for free:
- Tue 1/17/23 @ 6:15pm @ South Mission Beach: 339 N Jetty Rd, San Diego
- Sat 1/21/23 @ 7:15am @ Liberty Station: 2753 Cushing Rd San Diego
- Tue 1/24/23 @6:15pm @ Liberty Station: 2753 Cushing Rd San Diego
- Sat 1/28/23 @ 7:15am @South Mission Beach: 339 N Jetty Rd, San Diego
Other Need to Know Information:
NEW this Season 5K &10K Program: We are offering for the first-time ever a new program to help people get ready for their first 5K or 10K. We believe running should be accessible to anyone that wants to put in the work and we understand a half marathon might be a lot for someone new to commit to. This new program will now offer a point of entry for anyone that’s wants to give it a shot.
Happy Hours: We will be coordinating weekly happy hours every Tuesday as part of the regular season-based restaurants and bars being able to host outside seating. We do ask that you follow all CDC guidelines when participating.
Social Events: We will be continuing to host monthly social events throughout the season based on venue availability and offering of an outside option. We do ask that you follow all CDC guidelines when participating.
Aid Stations: We will be offering aid stations once our Saturday runs get a little longer. The aid stations will be supplied with sanitizer. Cups will also be provided at the aid station however it’s recommended you carry your own hydration bottle on your runs especially as summer temperatures set in.
Keys and Jackets: At the start of the season, we will not be offering bins to hold your keys and jackets on our runs. As the season progresses, we might reintroduce this service but no times lines have been set.
Discounts: As always if you shop at Road Runner Sports, they will continue to offer discounts on your purchases if you tell them, you are part of Black Flag Running Club. We will also be coordinating with San Diego’s Race Directors throughout the season and pass on all discount codes we are able to obtain.
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook page (like and follow)
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook group (join and follow)
We ask that if you do come out for one of our runs that you follow the Community Guidelines.
We don’t require much to join, but there are some guidelines that you should be able to meet AT THE START of the program.
Everyone - Regardless of Program
- If applicable, be medically cleared by your doctor as needed. Training for a half or full marathon is rigorous and requires a lot of physical training.
- Have a fun, outgoing and “can-do” excellent attitude. Any of the “Two-Percenters” can stay home.
- Be at least 20 yrs old on the first day of training.
Beginner Run/Walk Program
The Beginner Run/Walk program is designed for runners who have little to no experience with long distance running or for runners who have taken a long break or are coming off an injury.
- Be able to briskly walk 2-3 days per week for approximately 30-40 minutes each session. We'll immediately start run/walking 4 times per week, for a total of 180 minutes total.
- Be able to complete a brisk walk of 60 minutes on a single outing. Our first “Long” day will be a run/walk of 60 minutes.
Intermediate Running Program
The Intermediate Running program is designed for casual or existing runners who are looking for a “middle of the road” approach. You’re not going to kill yourself training 6 days per week, but you want to follow a solid, proven program to get you to your half or full marathon.
- Be able to run* 2-3 days per week, up to 15 miles total per week. We'll immediately start running 4 times per week at about 15-20 miles per week, depending on ability.
- Be able to complete 4-6 miles on a single run*. Our first “long” run is 5-7 miles, depending on ability.
*NOTE: While the program is designed for “runners” it's okay to not fully meet the training targets yet. We do encourage “walk breaks” if need be – especially during the first few weeks of training. You may benefit from following the Run-Walk program either during the whole season or during a few weeks as you build up endurance.
PR Chasers - Running Program
The PR Chasers program is designed for runners with a base already set and ready to take their training to a higher level. This is generally runners who've done a few races and are looking to PR as well as our more advanced runners.
- Be able to run 3-4 days per week, up to 20 miles per week. We'll immediately start running 4-5 days per week and up to 27 miles during the first week.
- Be able to complete a 7-8 mile long run the first week.
It’s assumed that the advanced runner has a good, solid base of 4-6 months recent running experience leading into the start of our program.