We want to officially welcome to the kickoff of the Black Flag Running Clubs Winter 2021-22 season. You are receiving this post because you have signed up for the winter training programs for the Carlsbad Half Marathon.
The intent for this post is to provide a centralized place where you can find all the information you need for the upcoming season and what to expect on the first few runs.
And with that let's get started.
Attitude is everything
You will get the most out of the club and its training if you approach it with an open mind and a willingness to meet new people. The success of the club is built on the community of runners that make the Black Flag Running Club.
The virtual aspect of the club is only temporary and we will be meeting as a group soon until then keep the following in mind.
- Watch all the training videos and review all materials sent to you. I know there is a lot of info to review but it really is the best place to get the most out of the club.
- Don't skip the training runs. Follow the schedule and do each of the workouts as they are described.
- Participate in our core workout. The foundation of a strong runner heavily relies on your core so participation in out weekly core workouts at 7:00 pm will play a big role in your success.
- Participate in club events (Happy Hour). Try and make it a point to attend the weekly happy hours on Tuesday at 7:30 pm.
- Try and not to stand by people you know and introduce yourself to someone new.
- New runners should seek out our alumni runners to partner with
- Alumni runners should seek out new runners
- Attend the happy hours and social events when you can. These are not required but the best way to connect.
- Stay engaged, If you miss a couple of runs don’t fade away, Just come back out.
- Support your fellow runners. Tell them a great job when you see them out of the runs and hang out after the runs until the rest of the runners return.
Stay on top of what your fellow runners are up to and join the following social media links or download the apps as we will reference these often
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook page (like and follow)
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook group (join and follow)
YouTube- Black Flag Running Club Channel
Strava – Black Flag Running Club (join the group) (log in > Explore > Run Club)
Run Keeper – CLICK (download / Required for the run-walk group)
Below is the link for the schedule.
- Page 1 – Over Page: Indicates where we will be running on both Tuesdays and Saturdays along with target mileage for each group.
- Page 2 to 5 – Individual Plans: These are the training plans for each of the training groups. The name of the training plan is located on the top right-hand corner.
It is also important to note that you are not obligated to stick with one group. Feel free to jump in and out of the groups as you see fit.
Club Texts and Meeting Location
On Mondays and Fridays mornings you will receive a text message detailing all the important information for the upcoming run. If you are interested in looking at where future runs will be you can find that information on Page 1 of the schedule.
At any point if you stop receiving text messages or if you change cell phone carriers you can reactivate receiving messages but texting BlackFlag to 258-27
Important videos to watch:
- How to read the weekly post: (click to watch video)
- Dynamic Warmup: Do this before each run (click to watch video)
- Cool Down Stretching: Do this before each run (click to watch)
- Run Walk Program: Setup up run keeper (click to watch video)
Spread The Word!
Do you have a friend, family member or coworker who may be interested in joining a great group of friends, training for a half or full marathon or similar?
Have them join us:
There is a very extensive FAQ’s on our website too:https://blackflagrunningclub.com/pages/faqs
The coaches always arrive early and stick around as long as needed at the group runs.
Can I Get Running Early?
Finally, for those anxious to get going early, or a bit concerned about your current level of fitness, feel free to get going early! NO, do not go run a 10K this weekend, but you can get your heart going to help you with your overall training. For those new to running, one of many rules of your thumb is "Gradual Build Up". With that, feel free to go out and get an easy jog or two before we start next week. For run/walkers, start by simply doing a few 30-45 minute "brisk" walks. Do not feel the need to be running on day 1! Many of you have seen and downloaded our Pre-Training Program so you can get an idea of a gradual buildup.
That’s it for now.
Congrats again on joining the club!
See ya out there!