NEED TO KNOW: Week 9
MONDAY @ 6:15 pm - South Mission Boardwalk
- Meet: S. Mission Beach, http://bit.ly/tiWENM
- Run Map: South Mission Boardwalk (to Tourmaline) Click
- CORE workout @ 6pm
- Happy Hour: Beach Comber 2901 MIssion Blvd San Diego CA 92109
- Trivia Night
TUESDAY @ 7:15 am - NO Group Run (Enjoy time with your "other" Family)
SATURDAY @ 7:15 am - Balboa Parks Fountain
- Meet: Bea Evenson Fountain 1875 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101
- Run option 1: 10.6 mil option CLICK
- Run option 2: 13.5 option CLICK
- Run option 3: 14.3 option CLICK
Social Events: Click
Hope everyone had a great weekend and ready for the holiday. Remember that we moved are run to Monday because Christmas Eve fell on our normal run day. This week we are up in mileage and in the final build-up before race day! Remember we are doing some the longest runs of the Winter season and are the most important in having a successful race. Don't skip the long runs, and if you can't make the Saturday run try to shift the mileage to another day in the same week. We are in the home stretch.
Wear your shirt on Saturday runs
We want to encourage our runners to wear the team shirt at all of our Saturday runs. It helps us identify who you are and cheer you on along the course. As we start creeping up in miles seeing another runner out of the course giving you a little encouragement can make all the difference.
More social media & future sponsorship
We are always scouting out new opportunities to improve the club and bring new benefits to our members. As I am sure you can imagine our social media presence is particularly important to potential sponsors. If you are so inclined we would love to have you follow up on our social media channels, tags us and use some of our hashtags: #BlackFlagRunningClub and @BlackFlagRunningClub. Every post helps. Thank you in advance for your help in building the next big thing to hit San Diego's running community.
Back Up, But Be Careful
This week is very tricky for most of us who are truly taking time away for the holiday's. You are supposed to be ramping things up, but that's hard to do during the holiday's.
We’re into week 9, Phase 3 of the Training and it’s going up pretty steep from here on out with 2.5 weeks of long, hard runs. Be ready to push yourself hard. At the same time, if you missed (or going to miss) a lot of running due to the holiday's, then ease into it. The schedule is designed for optimum conditions (meaning you’ve kept up with all of the training and runs) If you have to cut back on some intensity or mileage, do so. It won't kill your chances to run a strong race.
This Week’s Training
This is Week 9 and is back up in overall training: intensity, mileage, frequency. The next 2 weeks are the final build-up to the long run, with some great tempo and speed workouts in between. These next 2 weeks can provide you with some very effective training. We’ll end the last week and a half with a Taper (which is also important). Make your Tempo runs count, keep those long runs nice and steady and long, and start to mentally think about your race.
Specific training notes are:
- Run/Walk Group: Up AGAIN to a new set of intervals going to a 2/8 and a 2/13. This is very decent Jump as you move to the next interval set (10min and 15min respectively) But guess what, YOU CAN DO IT MUCH EASIER THAN YOU THINK. **IN addition, you’re mid-week runs are going up to 60 minutes each.
- Intermediate Group: You’re also adding a mile to each of the mid-week runs. In addition to gearing up for the longest long run of the season (but not THE longest of the program ;) We’ll also introduce a bit of TEMPO INTERVALS to the Tuesday workouts.
- PR Chasers Group: Bumping your mid-week mileage up by 1 mile each running day. Thursdays will become TEMPO runs as well. Your long runs are really cranking up there in the 14-15 mile range.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
Thursday @ 6:15 pm - SOUTH MISSION BOARDWALK
Starting at the South Mission Jetty, run North along the concrete pathway through PB. Venture into Northern PB / Southern La Jolla until your turnaround, then come back.
- Meet: S. Mission Beach, http://bit.ly/tiWENM
- Run Map: South Mission Boardwalk (to Tourmeline)CLICK
- MapMyRun App: http://bit.ly/1aYEpv
SATURDAY @ 7:15 AM - BALBOA PARKS FOUNTAIN
I hope everyone is excited because this Saturday's run. I'm excited about it because it includes 4 bridges, and the option to visit a forgotten cemetery. I have a feeling it's going to be a favorite, but know in advance it's challenging...in a good way! :)
We will arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, etc.. We also plan to stay afterward for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs by 6 PM and Saturday runs at 7 AM.
Please let us know if you have questions.
Have a great week everyone!
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet on Thursday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost :)
South Mission Beach
999 N. Jetty Rd, San Diego, CA 92109
Go to S. end of Mission Blvd, turn right (West) into parking lot. We'll be along the grassy park area, in front of the volleyball courts on the East end of the parking lot, not quite to the bathrooms, but about 1/2 way down. http://bit.ly/tiWENM
Balboa Park's Bea Evenson Fountain
We will meet the main fountain in Balboa Park, there is plenty of parking behind the Reuben H Fleet Science Center or behind the San Diego Museum of Natural History