NEED TO KNOW: Week 11
TUESDAY @ 6:15 PM - LIBERTY STATION
- Meet: Liberty Station: 2753 Cushing Rd San Diego CA 92106 CLICK
- Map: CLICK
- 7:30p - Social: Soda & Swine! After our run, we will head over to Soda & Swine for Happy Hour which is right across the street.
Saturday @ 7:15 am -Carlsbad Course Preview Run
Social Events: Click
We had an awesome long run last weekend thanks to everyone that came out! It's definitely fun to get some hills into our training. We're now starting to taper, (for those of you running the Carlsbad half) so now is when the fun really begins. This is the time when your body starts to really recover and capitalize on all of the really hard work you've been putting in this season.
There were a couple of big hills on last Saturday’s run. It’s alright if you didn’t feel great on them. Having done them now, your body will recover appropriately and you will be ready to tackle anything on the Carlsbad course.
An important note about the next couple of weeks: I have heard a number of people mention some minor illnesses (cough, cold, etc). This is not uncommon since all of the running we have been doing does take a bit of a toll on your immune system. Whether you have been feeling this way or not, it's critical to take some recovery/preventative measures to make sure whatever has been going around isn’t in your system come race day.
Some things to do:
- Hydrate: Hydrate a lot.
- Consume: lots of vitamins and antioxidants - Vitamin C is always a really good option.Throw a couple packets of Emergen-C in your water. Eat a side salad with dinner. Etc.
- Eat: hearty but nutritious meals. You don’t have to overeat but it's important to provide your immune system with enough fuel. Some good options are whole grains, pastas, potatos, fruits, and the like. Something that is nutritious and that will keep you feeling satisfied for a few hours. For example, maybe do a chicken breast and big baked potato for dinner with a salad. Maybe a little bit of chocolate for dessert.
Those are just some examples. The heartier you eat this week, the better your body will recover from all of the training. You're also more likely to be able to fight off and/or prevent whatever this bug is that's been going around.
We are running up at the race course on Saturday and also reviewing the start area and race morning info for 5-10min. This should assure that everyone has all the important race day information!
BLACK FLAG RUNNING CLUB - SPRING (AND SUMMER) SEASON IS OPEN !
Tell your friends! It's the perfect excuse to stick to their New Year’s Resolutions! Our next training season is posted online and signups are happening now. This is our Spring Season for the La Jolla Half and/or Rock n Roll Half/Full marathons.
REQUESTING YOUR SUPPORT
We have the new season of the running club starting up soon and I am hoping you will show your support by liking and sharing the events we have posted. I want to make the 2019 season a huge success and other people seeing your support is a big help. To make it easy I have included links below. Thank you in advance for your help.
This Week’s Training
We are in Week 11 and beginning the Taper & Race Preparation for the next 2 weeks until race weekend. This is where we begin to cut back in overall (weekly) intensity, a bit on mileage (Long run), and increase your carbohydrate/fuel intake.
- Run/Walk Group – Congrats! You are INCREASING one more time to the final interval set. A group is doing 1/9 and B group is doing 1/14 and obviously at a near full time! Last LONG run this weekend of 100min.
- Intermediate Group – Overall, no change this week. One last Tempo Run this week, and easy long run of 8-10mi this weekend.
- SD Half Group: Week 11 out of 19 weeks means one more LONG RUN this weekend of 11miles.
- PR Chasers Group – Overall, no change this week. One last Full Tempo run on Tuesday. Final easy, long run of 10-11mi this weekend.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
TUESDAY @ 6:15 PM - LIBERTY STATION
Saturday @ 7:15 am - Carlsbad Course Preview Run
Starting in the beautiful “Plaza Camino Real Mall” parking lot, run a portion of the Carlsbad Half Marathon race course.
- Meet: Plaza Camino Real Mall, Parking Lot** - http://bit.ly/gzX3GI
- Map: Carlsbad Half Marathon Sampler - http://bit.ly/dGEK4k
We will arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, etc.. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs by 6 PM and the Saturday runs at 7 AM.
Please let us know if you have questions.
Have a great week everyone!
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet on Tuesday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost!
Liberty Station (NTC)
2670 Cushing Road, San Diego, CA, 92106
At the corner of Dewey Road and Cushing Road. Huge grass park area, with multiple parking lots all around. We’ll meet in the grass area near the actual park parking lot. There are restrooms and water fountains at this lot.
Plaza Camino Real Mall (Carlsbad),
Meet in the Southwest corner of the Plaza Camino Real Mall parking lot, which is precisely where the Carlsbad Half/Full marathons start. Enter from the West side off of S Vista Way or the South side off of Marron Rd – come down to the SW corner. Plenty of parking!
WARNING** - There are no restrooms or water fountains here at the start area. I hit every single store/shop in the adjacent center and nothing will be open. There is a porta potty at the small park at the corner of Jefferson & Marron which you’ll be able to hit on the way out during the run, or hit it when driving into the area. PLEASE PLAN AHEAD. We will have water/aide setup at the cars when you return, but also good to bring your own recovery as usual. Once you get onto the course, there are numerous restrooms, public shops, Starbucks, and water fountains.