NEED TO KNOW: Week 3
Saturday @ 7:15 am - Road Runner Sports Loops + Optional Trail Run
- Meet: Road Runner Sports. http://bit.ly/tbNr2P (see details below)
- Run: RRS Loops or Trail option – a few different options/mileages (We will have maps on site)
- Map Run Walker & Intermediate: CLICK
- Map PR Chasers / Trail Run: CLICK
- Clinic: 8:45 am Running Shoes & Shoe-Fit by www.RoadRunnerSports.com
Social Events: Click
Hey runners! We are in our 3rd week of training and a great long run this weekend. For runners that have been at it for a while, we will introduce you to trail this weekend and for runners early in your training, we have several options for you including a friendly little hill. We will also have a shoe clinic at Road Runner Sports where we will be giving away a free pair of shoes.
Good luck to runners taking on Rock N Roll Las Vegas and Ragnar Los Coyotes!
This is a busy weekend for our team as we are representing at both Rock n Roll Las Vegas and Ragnar Los Coyotes. We wish everyone the best of luck on their races and can't wait to see all the pictures.
Watch the Weather & Recovery Aide
Just a quick reminder...especially for the newer runners... brings warm clothes with you to the Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings as its getting cooler! You can leave them behind when you go out. Also, bring some RECOVERY DRINK and AIDE for after the group runs. The first 30 minutes post-run are most important for re-hydration, and you should plan to eat your first 'healthy' meal within 2 hours. (We’ll be talking more about aide, nutrition and recovery as we progress).
I have received a lot of requested to create a Facebook Group Page which will allow members the opportunity to communicate, share their successes and post anything else you want to. Although the group is public I will only be accepting the request from members or alumni. Please keep details related to specific locations of runs or happy hours, one the "down low". You can click on the Facebook Group Icon or search for "Black Flag Running Club Group".
More social media & future sponsorship
We are always scouting out new opportunities to improve the club and bring new benefits to our members. As I am sure you can imagine our social media presence is particularly important to potential sponsors. If you are so inclined we would love to have you follow up on our social media channels, tags us and use some of our hashtags. #BlackFlagRunningClub @BlackFlagRunningClub every post helps. Thank you in advance for your help in building the next big thing to hit San Diego's running community.
It's going to be dark out on Tuesday
With the time change upon us it will be dark out on our Tuesday runs. It would be a good idea to start bringing a headlamp with you if you have one. Below is a link for a few they range between $20 to $40 bucks. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/search/search-celebros.jsp?from=searchBox&Query=headlamp
If you were one of the people that didn't get a headlamp as a prize at the costume run I will have them on Tuesday. I believe there are 4 of you.
This Week’s Training
We are off and running in Week 3, so plan your runs based on the training schedule, the link is at the top of the post. The training program calls for 4-5 days per week, so don't feel obliged to get a "great workout" on every single run. It is the long haul that counts!
As we reviewed in more detail Saturday at the clinic, for newer runners or those coming off a long break, the first 6-8 weeks are THE MOST IMPORTANT for your training. This is the time period when you make gains physically, mentally and physiologically!
Week 3 is approaching the funky time when your body starts to really wonder what is going on? Start to listen more closely to those aches and pains to ensure they’re not injuries. With that, do remember that you will get aches and pains so don’t worry - the key is to recognize when they get a bit more serious. Be sure to read the e-article on Shin Splints, the link is above under Articles.
- Run/Walkers – Week 3 is our first of many Interval changes, going up to a 3/2 or 4/6 interval (for the 12 week/Carlsbad half marathon runners only. The 20 week/San Diego half marathoners will stay at 4/1 or 4/6). As I discussed quickly on Saturday, keep in mind that most noobie interval runners walk too slow and Run too fast during their intervals. So speed up the walking, and slow down the running.
- Intermediate Runners – Nothing new this week. Keep all of your runs solid, but Easy in nature. You are building that Base/Foundation and have plenty of time to do it. If you have to take a walk break every once in awhile, that’s fine!
- PR Chasers – We will do our first INTERVAL run on Tuesday with a 2mi WU + 3x1mi @10k RP w/ 1:00RJ. What’s that? We will explain better at the run.
Once again, after our group chat, we will be breaking off to our Individual Groups - just listen for the announcements. Each Coach will review in general the overall approach. We will do the same on Saturday.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps* and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
Saturday @ 7:30a - Road Runner Sports Loops w/ Trail Run Option
Run-walkers and Intermediate group: Enjoy this series of “industrial park” neighborhood loops starting at the Road Runner Sports Store. There are various loops to choose from and you can venture out into Clairmont Mesa as well for some longer mileage. You will likely have to double up on a combination of loops to get your mileage.
PR Chasers: You have two options, run part of the loop or we have a trail run option to start introducing you uneven terrain and a series of hills. Keep in mind that the trail run option should be for seasoned runners that have had a few miles on the trails under their belts. If you are newer don't worry we will do this run again in spring.
- Meet: Road Runner Sports. http://bit.ly/tbNr2P (see details below)
- Run: RRS Loops – a few different options/mileages (We will have maps on site)
- Loop 1, 2.5mi - http://bit.ly/rqFvj1 (Basic loop around store neighborhood)
- Loop 2, 3.2mi - http://bit.ly/tPRZLD (Same as L1, but w/ extra out & back)
- Loop 3, 8.9mi - http://bit.ly/vXARQ5 (Includes neighborhoods)
- Loop 4, 7.5mi - http://bit.ly/zGRQEk (Easier to follow than L3, out & back)
- Loop 5, 12mi - http://bit.ly/13tDu67 (L4 + Genesee & Regents Loop)
- 9:30a - Clinic: Running Shoes & Shoe-Fit by www.RoadRunnerSports.com
Please review the Runs & Maps above before Saturday. Most everyone will do some sort of combination of Loops according to your prescribed mileage. For instance:
- R/W = 80min ~ 6mi = L1 + L2
- INT = 7mi = 2xL2
- PR Group = 11mi = L1 + L4 or 9 Trail
And you can easily adjust up or down accordingly. Just add up the mileage of loops to get whatever distance you need to do.
*Shoe Discount at Road Runner Sports, 20% on Saturday!
We’re holding our Shoe Clinic at Road Runner Sports this weekend. We’ll be raffling off some goodies and a FREE pair of shoes too. This means that we will learn about shoes, and then get to shop in their store for an extra 10% off the usual 10% off, meaning we get 20% off (on Saturday only)
NOTE: Please note that when I send Map Links, the runs MAY contain mileage further than your prescribed run. Please refer to your training schedule for the correct mileage. This is so I can use one map for many different mileages.
We'll usually arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, whatever. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs around 5:45 PM and the Saturday runs at 7:15 AM.
Please let us know if you have questions.
Talk to you all soon,
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet on Tuesday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost :)
Road Runner Sports (San Diego Store)
5553 Copley Dr; San Diego, CA 92111
Plenty of parking, park anywhere in their main parking lots. There are 2 large buildings with lots all around. DO NOT park in any stalls marked accordingly with signage, markings or cones. Keep in mind the store is open from 9am – 8pm daily. http://bit.ly/tbNr2P