NEED TO KNOW: Week 2
SATURDAY @ 7:15am - BALBOA PARK, KATE SESSIONS STATUE
Meet: Kate Session Statue - 2498 Balboa Dr San Diego CA 92101 Click
Map: Balboa Park Loop Click
- SD Half Map or PR Chasers: AFC Map Click
Articles: Click New Runners Article
Important videos to watch:
- How to read the weekly post: (click to watch video)
- Dynamic Warmup: Do this before each run (click to watch video)
- Cool Down Stretching: Do this before each run (click to watch)
- Run Walk Program: Setup up run keeper (click to watch video)
This weekend we are heading up to Balboa Park for our run. Remember we are still in the base building phase and will be adding on miles soon enough so enjoy this phase of our training. The goal of these early runs is to find the steady pace we can sustain for the entire duration of the run. There is no issue with walking but if you feel you are running out of steam try slowing your pace down and try to sustain that.
See ya'll in the morning.
Stay on top of what your fellow runners are up to and join the following social media links or download the apps as we will reference these often
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook page (like and follow)
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook group (join and follow)
YouTube- Black Flag Running Club Channel
Strava – Black Flag Running Club (join the group) (log in > Explore > Run Club)
Run Keeper – CLICK (download / Required for the run-walk group)
Training Schedules & Calendar
Under the schedule link above you will find the running schedule for the season. You will always want to keep an eye on the schedule, in the event we make updates you will always find the details there. This is the schedule that tells you exactly what to do, or not to do, every day for the entire season. The Group Run schedule is also forthcoming.
Spread the word . . . we will be taking registrations and signups until Sunday. weeks.
This Week’s Training
We are off and running in Week 2, so plan your runs based on the training schedule. This is the 2nd week of the first training Cycle.
For NEWER Runners - As we reviewed on Saturday, the first 6-8 weeks are THE MOST IMPORTANT for your training as we are BUILDING A BASE. This is the period when you make gains physically, mentally and physiologically! For new runners, make it to week 8 and you're golden!! Remember...GRADUAL!!! CONSISTENT!!! That means 1) don't overdo it. 2) Run your 4x per week. For Everyone - it's OKAY to walk - at any time. If you are a run/walker, then you MUST alternate walking.
Click on image to see how to setup runkeeper:
For Beginner and Intermediate Runners CONTINUING from our Winter Program (or who have otherwise been training for the last few months), we’re still in “Reset” mode. These runs are still generally easy in nature while we slowly build mileage. Take these weeks to let your body (and mind if needed) recover some. Get a massage this or next week. We have plenty of time ahead of us ;)
Specific Training Notes for Week 2
- 5K / 10K – You have a slight change in your program you will follow the same intervals of the run/walk program; A group is doing 3/2 and the B Group is doing a 2/8 interval. Your interval is starting with a moderate walk to a hard hard walk. Your hard walk should be at a pace that you would use if you are late for an appointment. It's not a run yet that's next week but this is walking with intention.
- Run/Walkers – as we announced last week, the first week or two is used to determine which Interval Group you should be in – the A group is doing 3/2 and the B Group is doing a 2/8 interval. Keep your walks “Brisk” and your runs “Very Easy / Jog”.
- Intermediate Runners – Base building! Plan on easy, steady run for the scheduled distance. Do not over do it! Remember, SLOW DOWN. You are likely running too fast and if you’re new to long distance running, this will catch up with you in a few weeks. Again, it is okay to take an occasional walk break here and there. Maybe 1min worth at the turnaround? Or 30sec on 10min intervals.
- PR Chasers – For the first 2 weeks, we’ll be keeping our runs solid in nature, so nothing special yet.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this post are detailed instructions for the meeting locations.
TUESDAY 7:15am @ BELMONT PARK
Starting at the South end of the parking lot at Belmont Park, run North for 40 min or to Tourmalin St. You will likely run past the pier and up to Law St. beach area and follow the sidewalk to Tourmalin. This is an "out & back" run.
- Meet: Belmont Park - 3099 Ocean Front walk San Diego CA 92109 Click
- Map: Belmont Park (to Tourmalin St / 40 -50 min) Click
SATURDAY @ BALBOA PARK, KATE SESSIONS STATUE
We will meet in the grassy area just South of the Kate Sessions statue located on the corner of El Prado and Balboa Dr.. Please review map for full details. We will be running for the time listed in your training schedule, which will be 60 min for most. There will be an option to extend your loop at the fountain in front of the science center.
We will arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, etc.. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs around 6:00 PM and the Saturday runs at 7:00 AM.
As always, please let us know if you have questions.
See ya out there!
Coach Aaron (AKA: The Gypsy KINGPIN)
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet. Don’t get lost :)
Balboa Park, Balboa Dr.
2498 Balboa Dr San Diego CA 92101
This is just South of Kate Sessions statue in the large grass area. There are restrooms and water fountains nearby. Parking is street only, and keep in mind that Balboa Drive is a one-way street.