NEED TO KNOW: Week 2
TUESDAY @ BELMONT PARK
Meet: Belmont Park - 3099 Ocean Front walk San Diego CA 92109 Click
Map: Belmont Park (to Tourmalin St / 40 min) Click
SATURDAY @ BALBOA PARK, KATE SESSIONS STATUE
Articles: Click Marathon Recovery
Articles: Click New Runners Article
Important videos to watch:
- How to read the weekly post: (click to watch video)
- Dynamic Warmup: Do this before each run (click to watch video)
- Cool Down Stretching: Do this before each run (click to watch)
- Run Walk Program: Setup up run keeper (click to watch video)
I hope everyone had a great weekend and ready to jump into another week of training. We are still operating in a virtual capacity but the good news is that it sounds like the small groups will be able to meet in the near future as all parking lots and boardwalks will be opening this Tuesday. We have not received official approval from the city or county which would allow us to meet but it looks like it might be happening soon as restrictions are letting up. New York and California have been following very similar opening strategies and it looks like New York are allowing recreational sports to start-up in the coming weeks. This is good news for us as we shouldn't be far behind.
That said, let's jump into this week's training.
Virtual Core Workout - Tuesday @ 7:00pm
We are going to try something new and do a virtual Core Workout on Tuesday at 6:30pm. See the link below if you want to follow along.
Join Zoom Meeting https://sandiegounified.zoom.
Meeting ID: 989 3055 3844
Virtual Happy Hour - Tuesday @ 7:30pm
We are going to try a virtual happy hour this Tues and try playing a game at the same time so this is how it's going to work.
On Tuesday 5/12/20 at 7:30pm you will follow the steps below:
Step 1 : Log in to Zoom using the link below. Best to do this using a computer or laptop
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85002008992?pwd=NkM2MW9kS09udG4zSll3T2NUSmhwdz09
Meeting ID: 850 0200 8992
Step 2: Get yourself a beer, wine or cocktail
Step 3: on your mobile device find the website listed below
Stay on top of what your fellow runners are up to and join the following social media links or download the apps as we will reference these often
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook page (like and follow)
Black Flag Running Club – Facebook group (join and follow)
YouTube- Black Flag Running Club Channel
Strava – Black Flag Running Club (join the group) (log in > Explore > Run Club)
Run Keeper – CLICK (download / Required for the run-walk group)
Training Schedules & Calendar
Under the schedule link above you will find the running schedule for the season. You will always want to keep an eye on the schedule, in the event we make updates you will always find the details there. This is the schedule that tells you exactly what to do, or not to do, every day for the entire season. The Group Run schedule is also forthcoming.
Spread the word . . . we will be taking registrations and signups for the next two weeks.
This Week’s Training
We are off and running in Week 2, so plan your runs based on the training schedule. This is the 2nd week of the first training Cycle.
For NEWER Runners - As we reviewed on Saturday, the first 6-8 weeks are THE MOST IMPORTANT for your training as we are BUILDING A BASE. This is the period when you make gains physically, mentally and physiologically! For new runners, make it to week 8 and you're golden!! Remember...GRADUAL!!! CONSISTENT!!! That means 1) don't overdo it. 2) Run your 4x per week. For Everyone - it's OKAY to walk - at any time. If you are a run/walker, then you MUST alternate walking.
Click on image to see how to setup runkeeper:
For Beginner and Intermediate Runners CONTINUING from our Winter Program (or who have otherwise been training for the last few months), we’re still in “Reset” mode. These runs are still generally easy in nature while we slowly build mileage. Take these weeks to let your body (and mind if needed) recover some. Get a massage this or next week. We have plenty of time ahead of us ;)
Specific Training Notes for Week 2
- 5K / 10K – You have a slight change in your program you will follow the same intervals of the run/walk program; A group is doing 3/2 and the B Group is doing a 2/8 interval. Your interval is starting with a moderate walk to a hard hard walk. Your hard walk should be at a pace that you would use if you are late for an appointment. It's not a run yet that's next week but this is walking with intention.
- Run/Walkers – as we announced last week, the first week or two is used to determine which Interval Group you should be in – the A group is doing 3/2 and the B Group is doing a 2/8 interval. Keep your walks “Brisk” and your runs “Very Easy / Jog”.
- Intermediate Runners – Base building! Plan on easy, steady run for the scheduled distance. Do not over do it! Remember, SLOW DOWN. You are likely running too fast and if you’re new to long distance running, this will catch up with you in a few weeks. Again, it is okay to take an occasional walk break here and there. Maybe 1min worth at the turnaround? Or 30sec on 10min intervals.
- PR Chasers – For the first 2 weeks, we’ll be keeping our runs solid in nature, so nothing special yet.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this post are detailed instructions for the meeting locations.
TUESDAY @ BELMONT PARK
Starting at the South end of the parking lot at Belmont Park, run North for 40 min or to Tourmalin St. You will likely run past the pier and up to Law St. beach area and follow the sidewalk to Tourmalin. This is an "out & back" run.
- Meet: Belmont Park - 3099 Ocean Front walk San Diego CA 92109 Click
- Map: Belmont Park (to Tourmalin St / 40 min) Click
SATURDAY @ BALBOA PARK, KATE SESSIONS STATUE
We will meet in the grassy area just South of the Kate Sessions statue located on the corner of El Prado and Balboa Dr.. Please review map for full details. We will be running for the time listed in your training schedule, which will be 60 min for most. There will be an option to extend your loop at the fountain in front of the science center.
We will arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, etc.. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs around 6:00 PM and the Saturday runs at 7:00 AM.
As always, please let us know if you have questions.
See ya out there!
Coach Aaron (AKA: The Gypsy KINGPIN)
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet. Don’t get lost :)
Belmont Park South Parking Lot
3099 Ocean Front walk San Diego CA 92109
This is the south parking lot of Belmont Park and we will meet in the grassy area on the south end of the parking lot. Click
Balboa Park, Balboa Dr.
2498 Balboa Dr San Diego CA 92101
This is just South of Kate Sessions statue in the large grass area. There are restrooms and water fountains nearby. Parking is street only, and keep in mind that Balboa Drive is a one-way street.