NEED TO KNOW: Week 3
Saturday @ 7:15a - Road Runner Sports Loops + Kearny Mesa Beauty or Trail Run Option
- Meet: Road Runner Sports. http://bit.ly/tbNr2P (see details below)
- Run: RRS Loops or Trail option – a few different options/mileages (We will have maps on site)
- Map Run Walker & Intermediate: CLICK
- Map PR Chasers / Trail Run: CLICK
- Clinic: 8:45 am Running Shoes & Shoe-Fit by www.RoadRunnerSports.com
SOCIAL EVENTS: CLICK
ARTICLES: CLICK Updated
Happy Friday Runners!! The free runs are over and as you will see in the schedule we are starting to pick up our time on our feet. We are still in the base building phase but we are increasing the time. Remember we are taking this slow and easy so don't make your pace to fast. It should be nice and consistent for the entire run. This weekend we will be heading to Road Runner Sport so if you have questions about your shoes or thinking you need to get fitted this is a great opportunity to learn everything you need to know about shoes and maybe end up going home with a FREE pair as will be raffling a pair off.
Sign Up for Race!!!
Don’t forget to sign up for your race –This race hasn't sold out the last few years but we never know when it will. https://www.inmotionevents.com/event/afc-half/
Black Flag RC Shirts
We will be ordering the Black Flag Running Club team shirts this week and should have them in about 2 weeks. I have some in inventory so I will fulfill as many as I can but most will get their new shirt in 2 weeks,
VEGAS BABY - ROCK N ROLL LAS VEGAS
If you are thinking about running Rock N Roll Las Vegas you should consider taking advantage of the Group Rate we have set and join in the fun. https://blackflagrunningclub.com/pages/road-trip
I have received a lot of requested to create a Facebook Group Page which will allow members the opportunity to communicate, share their successes and post anything else you want to. Although the group is public, I will only be accepting the request from members or alumni. Please keep details related to specific locations of runs or happy hours, one the "down low." You can click on the Facebook Group icon above or search for "Black Flag Running Club Group."
Are you running the Jack N Jill Marathon or San Fransisco Marathon?
I know a few of us are running other race like Jack N Jill Marathon and the San Fransisco MartMarathon. To help keep your training on track I have developed the attached training plan for you. If you have any question please let me know. CLICK
This Week’s Training
For those of you “seasoned” already and coming off of some recent races, you will simply pick up with the training program and keep your runs solid and strong (but easy when it calls for it ;) If you’re in this group, then the PR Chasers schedule may be for you ;) Overall, our schedule kind of “Resets” for the first Training Cycle (4 weeks) after the Spring Season.
If you ran the Rock n Roll HALF Marathon, then you should be just about back “up to speed.” With your training. Ran the FULL? Then this will be your last “recovery” week and will be back at next week. This doesn’t mean you skip out on runs, however, but need to continue easing back into things.
Again, if you are a newer runner, the first 4-6 weeks are THE MOST IMPORTANT for your training. This is the time period when you slowly gain Physically, Mentally and Physiologically to a point of heightened success rates! Make it to week 8 and your chances of making it go way up!! Remember . . . GRADUALITY!!! CONSISTENCY!!! That means 1) don't overdo it. 2) Run your 4x per week. For Everyone - it is OKAY to walk - at any time. If you are a Run/Walker, then you MUST alternate walking.
- Run/Walkers – Week 3 is our first of many Interval changes, going up to a 3/2 or 4/6 interval (for the 11 weeks/AFC half marathon runners only. As I discussed quickly on Saturday, keep in mind that most noobie interval runners walk too slow and Run too fast during their intervals. So speed up the walking, and slow down the running.
- Intermediate Runners – Plan on easy, steady runs for this week.
- Advanced Runners (not necessarily fast) are ready to run out the gate. Your 2 weeks of rest are up and already into Strength and LT work. Do some hill repeats tonight, and LT Intervals tomorrow.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
Saturday @ 7:15a - Road Runner Sports Loops w/ Trail Run Option
Run-walkers and Intermediate group: Enjoy this series of “industrial park” neighborhood loops starting at the Road Runner Sports Store. There are various loops to choose from and you can venture out into Clairmont Mesa as well for some longer mileage. You will likely have to double up on a combination of loops to get your mileage.
PR Chasers: You have two options, run part of the loop or we have a trail run option to start introducing you uneven terrain and a series of hills. Keep in mind that the trail run option should be for seasoned runners that have had a few miles on the trails under their belts. If you are newer don't worry we will do this run again in spring.
- Meet: Road Runner Sports. http://bit.ly/tbNr2P (see details below)
- Run: RRS Loops – a few different options/mileages (We will have maps on site)
- Loop 1, 2.5mi - http://bit.ly/rqFvj1 (Basic loop around store neighborhood)
- Loop 2, 3.2mi - http://bit.ly/tPRZLD (Same as L1, but w/ extra out & back)
- Loop 3, 8.9mi - http://bit.ly/vXARQ5 (Includes neighborhoods)
- Loop 4, 7.5mi - http://bit.ly/zGRQEk (Easier to follow than L3, out & back)
- Loop 5, 12mi - http://bit.ly/13tDu67 (L4 + Genesee & Regents Loop)
- 8:45-9:00a - Clinic: Running Shoes & Shoe-Fit by www.RoadRunnerSports.com
Please review the Runs & Maps above before Saturday. Most everyone will do some sort of combination of Loops according to your prescribed mileage. For instance:
- R/W = 80min ~ 6mi = L1 + L2
- INT = 7mi = 2xL2
- PR Chasers = 11mi = L1 + L4
And you can easily adjust up or down accordingly. Just add up the mileage of loops to get whatever distance you need to do.
*Shoe Discount at Road Runner Sports, 20% on Saturday!
We’re holding our Shoe Clinic at Road Runner Sports this weekend. We’ll be raffling off some goodies and a FREE pair of shoes too. This means that we will learn about shoes, and then get to shop in their store for an extra 10% off the usual 10% off, meaning we get 20% off (on Saturday only)
NOTE: Please note that when I send Map Links, the runs MAY contain mileage further than your prescribed run. This is so I can use one map for many different mileages. Please refer to your training schedule for the correct mileage. We’ll also review the exact mileages with each group at the start of every run.
We'll usually arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, whatever. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs around 6:00 PM and the Saturday runs at 7:00 AM.
See ya out there!
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet. Don’t get lost :)
Road Runner Sports (San Diego Store)
5553 Copley Dr; San Diego, CA 92111
Plenty of parking, park anywhere in their main parking lots. There are 2 large buildings with lots all around. DO NOT park in any stalls marked accordingly with signage, markings or cones. Keep in mind the store is open from 9am – 8pm daily.