NEED TO KNOW: Week 5
TUESDAY @ 6:15 PM – BONITA COVE PARK TO SAIL BAY
- Meet: Bonita Cove Park, http://bit.ly/1Ntg4CB
- Run Map: CLICK Bonita Cove to Crown Point, http://bit.ly/1NYxYNB
- Headlamp is recommended
- Happy Hour: Sandbar Sports Bar & Grill (718 Ventura Place, San Diego, CA 92109)
SATURDAY @ 7:15AM @ LIBERTY STATION
SATURDAY SOCIAL @ 7:15AM @ Hess Brewing
- Date: Saturday Feb 18,2022 @ 7:15pm
- Location: Mike Hess Brewing 3812 Grim Ave, San Diego, CA 92104
- Details: Click here for all the 411
NEW SOCIAL: CLICK SAT 2/18 @ 7:15PM
We had a great run this weekend as we made our way up to Solana Beach for a run along the coast. There weather was perfect and nice mix up locations sometimes. This week we have another long run for the SD Halfers on Saturday with another opportunity to take on Washington street before we start recovery run next week with a small taper and a finally an opportunity to test our speed with a timed 10K next Saturday. It's going to be an exciting week!
Social event Saturday - Bring a friend!
SOCIAL EVENT: CUPID'S 2ND CHANCE VALENTINES PARTY
Date: Saturday Feb 18,2022 @ 7:15pm
Location: Mike Hess Brewing 3812 Grim Ave, San Diego, CA 92104
Details: Click here for all the 411
WATCH THE WEATHER & RECOVERY AIDE
Especially for the newer runners... bring some warm clothes with you to the Tuesday night runs (It gets a bit chilly as it nears sundown.) You can leave them behind when you go out. Also, bring some RECOVERY DRINK and AIDE for after the group runs. The first 30 minutes post-run are most important for re-hydration, and you should plan to eat your first 'healthy' meal within 2 hours. (We’ll be talking more about aide, nutrition, and recovery as we progress.) This isn’t as crucial on our mid-week runs as it is on our longer, Saturday runs of >90min.
We have a Facebook Group Page which allows members the opportunity to communicate, share their successes and post anything else you want to. Although the group is public, I will only be accepting the request from members or alumni. Please keep details related to specific locations of runs or happy hours, on the "down low." You can click on the Facebook Group icon above or search for "Black Flag Running Club Group."
MORE SOCIAL MEDIA & FUTURE SPONSORSHIP
We are always scouting out new opportunities to improve the club and bring new benefits to our members. As I am sure you can imagine our social media presence is particularly important to potential sponsors. If you are so inclined we would love to have you follow up on our social media channels, tags us and use some of our hashtags: #BlackFlagRunningClub and @BlackFlagRunningClub. Every post helps. Thank you in advance for your help in building the next big thing to hit San Diego's running community.
THIS WEEK’S TRAINING
For NEWER Runners - As we reviewed in detail on Saturday, the first 6-8 weeks are THE MOST IMPORTANT for your training as we are BUILDING A BASE. This is the time period when you make gains Physically, Mentally and Physiologically! For newer runners, make it to week 8 and you're golden!! You’ll also hear me say it often, but if you can make it through the first 8 weeks, your chances of success go waaayyy up. That means 1) don't overdo it. 2) Run your 4x per week. For Everyone - it is OKAY to walk - at any time. If you are a Run/Walker, then you MUST alternate walking. You will simply build/shift to more running as you go along.
SPECIFIC TRAINING NOTES FOR WEEK 5
- Run/Walkers – NEW Interval and we continue with very easy Intervals at same as last week - the A group is doing 3/2 and the B Group is doing a 3/7 interval. Keep your walks “Brisk” and your runs “Very Easy Jog”. Nothing new, just more Time on your feet!
- Intermediate Runners – Base building! Plan on easy, steady run for the scheduled distance. Do not over do it! Remember, SLOW DOWN. You are likely running too fast and if you’re new to long distance running, this will catch up to you in a few weeks.
- PR Chasers – Plan on picking things up a bit this week with some 10k intervals tomorrow and Hill Repeats on your own if you can get to some inclines.
- SD Half Marathon Group - You are building up to another LONG run of the training so getting close to peaking with a few more week to go. Keep mid-week runs solid and strong and the long runs steady as you go.
UPCOMING GROUP RUNS & CLINICS
Below are the run maps* and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
TUESDAY @ 6:15PM – BONITA COVE PARK TO SAIL BAY (OUT AND BACK)
Starting at Bonita Cove Park, cross W Mission Bay Blvd to access the concrete bike path and run along Sail Bay. Continue around the bay/path until your turnaround, then come back. Add-on Mileage: Continue South on the boardwalk down to South Mission (Volleyball courts or the Point) for a 2 mile add-on (1 mile down, 1 mile back)
- Meet:Bonita Cove Park, http://bit.ly/1Ntg4CB
- Run Map:Bonita Cove to Crown Point, http://bit.ly/1NYxYNB
- Add-on Mileage:Bonita Cove to S Mission Point, http://bit.ly/1NYy5Jb
Clinics & Social, Tuesday
- 7:45p -Happy Hour: Sandbar Sports Bar & Grill (718 Ventura Place, San Diego, CA 92109)
SATURDAY 7:15AM @ LIBERTY STATION
NOTE: Please note that when I send Map Links, the runs MAY contain mileage further than your prescribed run. This is so I can use one map for many different mileages. Please refer to your training schedule for the correct mileage.
We will arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, etc.. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs by 6 PM and the Saturday runs by 7 AM.
As always, please let us know if you have questions.
See you tomorrow!
DETAILED MEETING LOCATIONS
This is where we will meet on Tuesday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost :)
Bonita Cove Park
Bonita Cove Park http://bit.ly/1Ntg4CB 907 W Mission Bay Dr San Diego CA 92109 – Upon entering the parking lot head to the most western side of the lot. There is plenty of parking and we will congregate across the street near the water. Please use the crosswalk and use caution when crossing the street.
Liberty Station (NTC)
2670 Cushing Road, San Diego, CA, 92106
At the corner of Dewey Road and Cushing Road. Huge grass park area, with multiple parking lots all around. We’ll meet in the grass area near the actual park parking lot. There are restrooms and water fountains at this lot.
*NOTE – between 11/1 and 3/31 the restroom at this parking lot is closed for the winter. There is a restroom at the other end of the Park just under a 1/4 mile away (you can easily walk/jog from our lot) and there is also a restroom at Fanuel Park which is about 1 mile into the run. Keep this in mind if you find yourself having to go to the restroom as you near the parking area before the run