NEED TO KNOW: Week 9
Saturday @ 7:15am - Torrey Pines Gliderport
- Meet: Gliderport La Jolla 2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr La Jolla CA 92037 - https://tinyurl.com/yag8yfje
- Map: Route
- Coffee Hour: Cliff Hanger Cafe: 2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr, La Jolla, CA 92037. - https://tinyurl.com/yag8yfje
- Pasta Party SD Half: Mazara Trattoria Friday 3/25/22 @ 6:15pm
- Cheer Station: Downtown Mile 12 - 3/27/22 @ 8:30am
- After Party: Werewolf 3/27/22 @ 10:00 am
We are heading into Week 9 of training and if you are running SD Half this will be a down week for you and if you are looking at La Jolla as the next big race we are starting to introduce hills to our training. Its going to be a fun run tomorrow at Torrey Pines.
WE NEED YOUR HELP: Locations for upcoming events
Every year we host two events (Movie Night & End of Season Award Ceremony) and we are in search of a location. If your apartment building has a community room we can use or you know someone that owns a Bar/Resturant that might be willing to host our group please let me know. I can fill you in on all the details. Please email me at coach@BlackFlagRunningClub.com
Beginning our hill training series (Click)
This Saturday will kickoff our hill training series. Up to this point we have been spending a lot of time developing our endurance with nice long runs on fairly flat terrain. Now that we have a good base built it is time to start working on the strength of our running by switching up the environment we train on. This will ultimately translate into increased speed. Although the focus is not on speed we will naturally get a little faster the more time we run under tension and in our case that tension will be hills. For the next few weeks we will get the opportunity to really put our mileage to work. Look over the link as it s a good place to start to understand the benefits for running hills and how it will support your race training.
This Week’s Training
We are in Week 9, so plan your runs based on the training schedules. Overall, solid, steady state runs are on schedule and this is the last BIG push of this training cycle before a recovery week. Some notable items for each group:
- Interval Run/Walkers – Nothing new this week in interval times or mid-week runs. Intervals are 2/3 and 2/8 now and long run will be up to 110min
- Intermediate HALF – No change from last week – all runs still to be solid and steady but generally EASY. Long run will be up to 8-10mi. All mid-week runs in the 5mi range. All runs are still EASY (Novice) to Steady State (Intermediate)
- Intermediate FULL – No Change overall. All runs are still EASY (Novice) to Steady State (Intermediate). Mid-weekruns in the 5-6mi range and Long Run is up to 11-12mi.
- PR Chasers FULL - Tuesday will be a longer Tempo Run (E2 + LT5), Thursday includes 10k RP intervals and Long Run builds to 15mi Easy.
We will arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, etc.. We also plan to stay afterward for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs by 6 PM and the Saturday runs by 7 AM.
As always, please let us know if you have questions.
See you tomorrow!
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet on Tuesday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost :)
Torrey Pines Gliderport
2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr, La Jolla CA 92037
The Gliderport is a dirt lot overlooks Blacks Beach. Once you enter the parking lot you can go immediately to the left or go straight. Continue going straight about 100 feet and we will meet on the left-hand side in the clearing area. You can park anywhere in the dirt lot. The bathrooms on site are porta-potties so officially there are facilities but they are not great. You will also want to bring water with you as I am not sure about water. fountains. https://tinyurl.com/yag8yfje