NEED TO KNOW: Week 13 (Race Week – La Jolla Half)
NO GROUP RUN on Saturday (Because of the race)
Saturday @ 6:00 am – Group Picture
The La Jolla Half has an earlier start this year but in typical fashion, we will meet for a group picture 30 min prior to the start of the race at 6:00 AM. See the race details link for full details. (CLICK)
Saturday @ 6:30 am – Start Time for La Jolla Half Marathon
Saturday @ 7:30 am – La Jolla Half Cheer Station
RACE PREP: Click
Well it a big race weekend and we want to wish everyone running the La Jolla Half Marathon the best of luck. Those of you not running you're not off the hook, just because you are not running the race you will still need to get in the miles on your own or JOIN US at the cheer stating to support your fellow runners.
Remember we are changing the location of next Tuesdays run for the Tolley Run so give yourself some extra time and be sure to read over all the information in advance from next Mondays post.
WE NEED YOUR HELP: Locations for upcoming events
Every year we host two events (Movie Night & End of Season Award Ceremony) and we are in search of a location. If your apartment building has a community room we can use or you know someone that owns a Bar/Resturant that might be willing to host our group please let me know. I can fill you in on all the details. Please email me at coach@BlackFlagRunningClub.com
LJ Half Race Info
For those of you running La Jolla Half this weekend click here for all the details you need to know. We will do a full race prep on Tuesday after the group run.
If you are not Running La Jolla come to the Official Black Flag RC Cheer Zone
Facebook Cheer Zone Event (UPDATE)
Please consider joining us cheer on our runners! For those not running, family and/or friends, we usually designate an area to meet up and cheer on the runners. It’s a great time to show some spirit and boost morale of everyone running! We will be at the Mile 12 hill starting around 8:00am (to see the leaders) The majority of runners will be passing through beginning around 8:15-8:45 am. We’ll meet at the corner of Spindrift Drive and St. Louis Terrace. Here's a link to help you find it: https://goo.gl/maps/gLs1s Where to park: Park in La Jolla village, around Blue Bird Lane. Walk down to Spindrift (< 1mile) from there.
Running LJ Half & Related Training?
Many of us are running LJ Half, many are not. If this is your goal race, then this is the big final push and Taper. If you are continuing on to the RnR race AND running LJ Half, you have a choice if you want to push hard or not. If you are NOT running the race, but continuing onto the RnR, then you have a slightly different path:
- LJHM Only – You are in Taper mode. You will do NO more hardcore specialty runs such as Hills or mega V02max sprint workouts. You are tapering down.
- LJHM + RnR – You have a choice. If you are going to run hard, follow a taper for the most part and then do the race. Plan on a quick week reverse taper to get back into things. If you are just going to do it for some practice, then you won’t have to taper as much and you’ll want to “get back on it” very quickly after the race.
- No LJHM, RnR Only – You will still practice as per the schedule. Plan on a recovery week next week.
Remember, running very hard (hard training runs or racing) – is very stressful to the body so you HAVE to actively plan your schedules around the types of running you’re doing.)
This Week’s Training
We are in Week 13 and Phase 3 of the training. That means we’re back UP again this week in both intensity and overall weekly mileage.
- Run/Walkers (ALL) – Nothing new this week in interval times or mid-week runs. Intervals are still 1/4 and 1/9 this week.
- Intermediate HALF – No changes to mid-week runs. Long run will be UP to 10-12 mi.
- Intermediate FULL – No changes to mid-week runs. Long run will be UP to 16 mi.
- Advanced Runners – No changes to mid-week runs. Long run will be UP to 20 mile EZ run.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
No group run on Saturday due to the La Jolla Half Marathon.
Please let us know if you have questions.
See ya out there!