NEED TO KNOW: Week 7 (RACE CANCELED)
***Lots of info, Read Everything
CANCELED: FRIDAY @ 7:15 PM - PASTA DINNER
- If you purchased a ticket your money has been refunded and will hit your account in 3-5 business days
Saturday @ 7:15am - Torrey Pines Gliderport
This is a newer location for us and I look forward to getting your feedback. In preparation for La Jolla Half, we will be taking on the Torey Pines Hill. It's going to be a hard run but super rewarding.
- Meet: Gliderport La Jolla 2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr La Jolla CA 92037 - https://tinyurl.com/yag8yfje
- Map: Route
- Notes: Because we have only done a couple Saturday morning runs at this location before things like water and bathrooms are kind of a wild card. I will bring an extra cooler for water and know the bathrooms will be open by the time you return but it's unclear on what will be open in the morning when we start the run. Please try and be flexible, we try to switch up the run locations to keep them exciting and fresh. It will be an adventure either way.
Virtual Half SUNDAY @ start running at 7:15 am SD Half Marathon
- Although the race is canceled those wanting to run the course on Sunday as part of the virtual race are free to do so. Same details below.
- Virtual Run Link: CLICK
- Group Picture: Meet at 6:30 AM and Picture at 7:00 AM sharp at corner of Tony Gwynn Drive and Park Blvd.
- Wear your team shirts
- After Party: CLICK This is still happening. See you at 10AM.
Social Events: CLICK
Articles(Race Prep): Click
WOW!!! What a crazy day.......
As you may have heard Governor Newsom initiated a new executive order today limiting gatherings of groups with more than 250 people. As a result, the San Diego Half Marathon has also been canceled and moved to a virtual race. As you can imagine, it a big deal for a race to make a move like that but probably for the best.
Given the flood of new information, we are taking the following actions:
- Pasta Dinner will be canceled this year. Refunds will be processed and hit your account in 3-5 days
- Saturdays run is still happening for those training for La Jolla
- Sunday we will have an informal group meeting to run the course and partake in the virtual half together. We will still meet at 6:30/6:45, take the picture at 7:00am and start on the course at 7:15am. Wear your shirt.
- We will still meet at Henerys Pub at 10am once you finish your virtual run.
SD HALF - Upgrade Your Program / This will be your last post.
For those of you only signed up for the Winter ext for the SD Half and want to add on the RnR Half or Full Marathon training you can do so now. Below is the link.
Wear your shirts on Saturdays and races
We want to encourage our runners to wear the team shirt at all of our Saturday runs and Big Races. It helps us identify who you are and cheer you on along the course. Black Flag is still building a name for itself and we could use your support.
Race Canceled - Virtual San Diego Half Marathon This Weekend
Pasta Dinner: Canceled, Refunds will hit your account in 3-5 business days
Run a virtual race with us
Group Picture: 7:00AM Sharp. We will meet at 6:30/6:45 am at the base of the Glass Elevator structure at the bottom of the new Harbor Drive Footbridge at the corner of Tony Gwynn Drive and Park Blvd. And a picture of the meeting spot is here: http://bit.ly/VRqYKq
Virtual Race Start Time: 7:15am
Post-Race Happy Hour: We are still meeting after your run. The after-party will be at Henry's Pub located at 618 Fifth Ave San Diego CA 92101 at 10AM. See all the details at: CLICK
An abundance of Caution: Coronavirus
I want to start off by saying there is currently no major health risks in San Diego County as it relates to the coronavirus. I might be overly cautious here but with everything in the news, Black Flag Running Club will be imposing the following action to ensure we can keep everyone running and healthy.
- If you are sick we ask that you don’t come to the group runs.
- We will suspend holding your keys and jackets. Please leave those in your car.
- We will suspend the use of aid stations on our runs. We are encouraging runners to carry water or aid in a hydration pack or handheld water bottle see link
- We will still have printed maps made available but will designate a single individual you can see to pick them up rather than everyone taking one from the box.
- If you haven’t picked up your shirt yet we will have hand sanitizer available and ask that you use it before and after looking for your shirt.
I am sure all of this is a little over the top but think it’s best to be proactive. Thank you, everyone, for your support and understanding
Still On: After Party - Sunday 3/15/20 @ 10:00am
This is one of our most fun finisher parties for Black Flag Running Club. Join us at Henry's Pub after the race to celebrate your amazing finish or just to have a beer.
Facebook Post (Link)
Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 10:00am
Henry's Pub: 618 Fifth Ave San Diego CA 921010
Looking for Event Locations
The Black Flag leadership team is on the hunt for locations to host some of our upcoming pasta dinners, movie nights and awards ceremony. Does your apartment building have a community room, are you aware of a cool public space we might be able to get into or have a relationship with a restaurant? If so, please email me at Coach@blackflagrunningclub.com or connect with one of our brand ambassadors to discuss details. Below are the general details we are looking at:
- Friday 4/24 @ (6:15pm or 7:15pm) – 2 hours (25 people)
- Friday 5/29 @ (6:15pm or 7:15pm) – 3 hours (35 people)
Shirts are in!!!!
If you are new to the club your shirts are in. Please pick them up this week. I have them separated into men's and women's and your I am picking up the Black Flag team shirts for all the new members today and they will be available after the run on Saturday. While you are out on your training running I will be labeling them so they are ready when you come back.
Specific Training Notes for Week 8
Run/Walkers – Interval groups stay at 2/3 or 2/8 Full marathoner’s mid-week runs are slightly longer by 10min each.
Intermediate HALF – Continue Base building! No change from last week. All mid-week runs in the 5mi range. All runs are still EASY (Novice) to Steady State (Intermediate)
Intermediate FULL – No Change overall. All runs are still EASY (Novice)to Steady State (Intermediate)
PR Chasers FULL - Tuesday will introduce a little speed work this week. Fun Stuff!!
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps* and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
Saturday @ 7:15am - Torrey Pines Gliderport
Meet: Gliderport La Jolla 2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr La Jolla CA 92037 - https://tinyurl.com/yag8yfje
NOTE: Please note that when I send Map Links, the runs MAY contain mileage further than your prescribed run. Please refer to your training schedule for the correct mileage. This is so I can use one map for many different mileages.
We'll usually arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, whatever. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs around 5:45 PM and the Saturday runs at 7:15 AM.
Please let us know if you have questions.
Talk to you all soon,
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet on Tuesday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost :)
Torrey Pines Gliderport
2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr, La Jolla CA 92037
The Gliderport is a dirt lot overlooks Blacks Beach. Once you enter the parking lot you can go immediately to the left or go straight. Continue going straight about 100 feet and we will meet on the lefthand side in the clearing area. You can park anywhere in the dirt lot. The bathrooms on site are porto-potties so officially there are facilities but they are not great. You will also want to bring water with you as I am not sure about water fountains. https://tinyurl.com/yag8yfje