NEED TO KNOW: Week 7 (RACE WEEK)
TUESDAY @ 6:15 PM – BONITA COVE PARK TO SAIL BAY
- Meet: Bonita Cove Park, http://bit.ly/1Ntg4CB
- Run Map: CLICK Bonita Cove to Crown Point, http://bit.ly/1NYxYNB
- Headlamp is recommended
- Happy Hour: DRAFT 3105 Ocean Front Walk, San Diego, CA 92109
Clinics & Social, Tuesday
- 6:00 pm - CORE Workout – bring a towel and/or yoga mat. (Weather permitting)
FRIDAY @ 7:15 PM - PASTA DINNER, YOU MUST PAY IN ADVANCE
- Meet: Old Spaghetti Factor 275 Fifth Ave San Diego CA 92101
- Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/407510039825858/
- Tix: https://blackflagrunningclub.com/collections/all-products/products/sd-half-pasta-dinner-2019
SATURDAY @ 7:15 am DE ANZA COVE/ La Jolla Half & RnR
- Meet: De Anza Cove, Mission Bay, http://bit.ly/tGLDPn
- No Aid Station
SUNDAY @ 7:15 am SD Half Marathon
- Group Picture: Meet at 6:30 AM and Picture at 7:00 AM sharp at corner of Tony Gwynn Drive and Park Blvd.
- Wear your team shirts
- Race Prep: CLICK
- Cheer Station: CLICK
- After Party: CLICK
Social Events: Click PASTA DINNER
Articles: Click RACE PREP
We are heading into Week 7 of training, and it’s going to be a busy week. We are ramping up our mileage for our long runs and we have a group of people getting ready for the San Diego Half Marathon this weekend. This post has a lot of info in it so make sure you look it all over.
Volunteers Needed - SD Half Expo (3/8/19 or 3/9/2019)
We are in the home stretch and still need a few volunteers for the expo. If you said you where interested please go in and select your shift ASAP. If it turns out you are free this week please consider volunteering. Your support is truly appreciated.
SD HALF - Upgrade Your Program
For those of you only signed up for the Winter ext for the SD Half and want to add on the RnR Half or Full Marathon training you can do so now. Below is the link.
Wear your shirts on Saturdays and races
We want to encourage our runners to wear the team shirt at all of our Saturday runs and Big Races. It helps us identify who you are and cheer you on along the course. Black Flag is still building a name for itself and we could use your support.
A Story of a Pasta Dinner and a little HUSTLE
Long story short we had a 30 person reservation at a restaurant in Little Italy for our Pasta Dinner. Unfortunately when I called to confirm they informed me that they had to cancel the reservation and left us with no place to go. Well, good thing your fearless leader knows how to hustle and was able to secure another venue. Please click on the link and for all the details and remember you need to pay in advance. See details at: CLICK Event Details: CLICK
San Diego Half Marathon This Weekend
A few dozen of our runners have been training since October for the SD Half Marathon, and this is their big week! If you’re not racing, consider coming out to some of the things we have planned, see a great race and cheer everyone one! https://www.facebook.com/events/2025226260930665/
Friends and Family are welcome and encouraged to come to all of the stuff we have planned this week. It is always more fun with more people and sharing in buildup and achievement of such a big goal.
Race Info: We will do our big race review on Tuesday but look at this race info post and comp prepared to ask questions. CLICK
Seating is limited to 30 people so get your tickets now.
Group Picture: We always take a big family picture 30 min before the start of the race at 7:00AM Sharp. We will meet at 6:30 am at the base of the Glass Elevator structure at the bottom of the new Harbor Drive Footbridge at the corner of Tony Gwynn Drive and Park Blvd. And a picture of the meeting spot is here: http://bit.ly/VRqYKq
Post-Race Happy Hour: The afterparty will be at Henerys Bub located at 618 Fifth Ave San Diego CA 92101 at 10AM. See all the details at: CLICK
Your TEAM SHIRT has arrived
We will have team shirts available for pickup on both Tuesday and Saturday this week.
Feeling Sick, Vacation, Missing Runs?
Don’t worry! Keep your head up and know that YES, you can miss runs . . even up to 2 weeks before having negative effects. Keep your eyes peeled for an “informational email” soon regarding this subject.
This Week’s Training
We are off and running in Week 5 overall. This is the 1st Week of the Second Training Cycle so we’re “back up” in more ways than one. Everyone will be INCREASING their mid-week runs by a bit. This is also when the Half and Full marathoners start to deviate in mileage a bit more so see specific notes below. Saturday will end with a LONG run, the longest of this season, and longest for many of you.
Specific Training Notes for Week 7
- Run/Walkers (ALL) – Last week we shifted intervals by a minute. This week, you will start doing Interval runs on Mondays instead of walking only. You will also notice that the Half and Full groups start to split during the mid-week since this is the week you’ll start to run different mileages. Saturday long runs will still be the same for both groups during this training cycle. Some of your runs will go up 10min each – this will add approx. 0.75-1.0 mile to each run – nice!!!
- Run/Walkers (Half) – Monday’s run stays the same at 50min, while Tuesdays go UP to 60 Min. Your intervals will remain the same as last week at a 2/3 and 2/8.
- Run/Walkers (Full) – ALL of your mid-week runs bump up to 60 minutes!! Your intervals will remain the same as last week at a 2/3 and 2/8.
- Intermediate HALF – Continue Base building! Add 1 mile to your mid-week runs, from 4 to 5 miles. All runs are still EASY!
- Intermediate FULL – Add 1 mile to your mid-week runs. Thursdays are up to a 6 miler now.
- PR Chasers FULL - Tuesday Tempo will bump up 1 mile.
- SD Half Marathon Group - Begin your taper which means overall intensity cuts way back. Mileage will begin to decrease with this weekend’s Long Run.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps* and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
Tuesday @ 6:15pm – Bonita Cove Park to Sail Bay (Out and Back)
Starting at Bonita Cove Park, cross W Mission Bay Blvd to access the concrete bike path and run along Sail Bay. Continue around the bay/path until your turnaround, then come back. Add-on Mileage: Continue South on the boardwalk down to South Mission (Volleyball courts or the Point) for a 2 mile add-on (1 mile down, 1 mile back)
- Meet:Bonita Cove Park, http://bit.ly/1Ntg4CB
- Run Map:Bonita Cove to Crown Point, http://bit.ly/1NYxYNB
- Add-on Mileage:Bonita Cove to S Mission Point, http://bit.ly/1NYy5Jb
Clinics & Social, Tuesday
- 7:15p - Clinic: COREfit Workout – bring Towel and/or yoga mat. (Weather permitting)
- 7:45p - Social: DRAFT
Saturday @ 7:15a - De Anza Cove for “Mission Bay Loop”
Starting at almost the end of the Mission Bay Boardwalk at De Anza Cove, run South on the busy and popular concrete pathway, pass Fiesta Island (or add-on for more) continue around Sea World, over Ingram Bridges, down through Crown Point Park and across the new footbridge through MB RV Park and into De Anza Cove for a loop. Lots of Restrooms & Water Fountains on the loop.
- Meet: De Anza Cove, Mission Bay, http://bit.ly/tGLDPn
- Map: De Anza Cove (to Boat Launch, 7.0mi) http://bit.ly/dhhTXw
- Map: Mission Bay Loop, 8.0mi – http://bit.ly/ep1zVc
o Add-on: Fiesta Island (Short Loop),+ 2.7mi – http://bit.ly/nA2KYz
o Add-on: Fiesta Island (Long Loop), +4.4mi – http://bit.ly/KeHV9R
o Option: Loop + WMB O&B, 10.1mi - http://bit.ly/Wf5HtV
Clinics & Social, Saturday
- 9:00a - Clinic: Race Week: Taper, Prep & Nutrition
We will arrive 15-20 minutes before each group run to make ourselves available for questions, tips, etc.. We also plan to stay afterwards for as long as it takes to do the same. This means I'll be at Tuesday runs by 6 PM and the Saturday runs by 7 AM.
As always, please let us know if you have questions.
See you tomorrow!
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet on Tuesday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost :)
Bonita Cove Park
Bonita Cove Park http://bit.ly/1Ntg4CB 907 W Mission Bay Dr San Diego CA 92109 – Upon entering the parking lot head to the most western side of the lot. There is plenty of parking and we will congregate across the street near the water. Please use the crosswalk and use caution when crossing the street.
De Anza Cove/Mission Bay
2750 De Anza Rd, San Diego, CA 92109
Go all the way to end of N. Mission Bay Drive (towards the golf course / mobile home park), turn left onto De Anza Road (towards cul-de-sac) turn left into parking lot. We'll be in SE corner, near pavilion across from bathrooms, but along the parking lot. http://bit.ly/tGLDPn