NEED TO KNOW: Week 14 (Race Week – La Jolla Half)
Friday @ 6:15pm – Movie Night & Pasta Dinner
All the details can be found at : CLICK
Saturday @ 7:15am - Silver Strand from Coronado
- Meet: Tidelands Park, Coronado - http://g.co/maps/jufrc
- Run: Silver Strand from Coronado - http://bit.ly/11MC1Gb
Sunday @ 6:30 am – Group Picture
The La Jolla Half has an earlier start this year but in typical fashion, we will meet for a group picture 30 min prior to the start of the race at 6:30AM. See the race details link for full details. (CLICK)
Sunday @ 8:00 am – La Jolla Half Cheer Station
Social Events: Click Movie Night and Saturday Social
Articles: Click RACE PREP
Let the weekend begin and it's going to be a busy one with lost of activities going on. We have the Pasta Dinner / Movie night tonight, running Coronado Saturday, La Jolla Half on Sunday and the cheer station.
We are looking forward to seeing everyone tonight and best of luck in your upcoming race. As for the rest of you, we will see you Saturday morning for our long run.
Yes, for all of you!!!! And after 3 weeks straight of hill training, plus a few rough long runs . . . IT’S TIME FOR SOME RECOVERY!! I will repost a modified version of the recovery post in the article section. We will be back at a good CORE Session tomorrow night though, so come prepared for some extra fun.
LJ Half Race Info
For those of you running La Jolla Half this weekend click here for all the details you need to know. We will do a full race prep on Tuesday after the group run.
Movie Night and Pasta Dinner 4/22
Tonight is the pasta dinner and movie night see everyone at 6:15pm. Details: CLICK
If you are not Running La Jolla come to the Official Black Flag RC Cheer Zone
Please consider joining us cheer on our runners! For those not running, family and/or friends, we usually designate an area to meet up and cheer on the runners. It’s a great time to show some spirit and boost morale of everyone running! We will be at the Mile 12 hill starting around 8:00am (to see the leaders) The majority of runners will be passing through beginning around 8:15-8:45 am. We’ll meet at the corner of Spindrift Drive and St. Louis Terrace. Here's a link to help you find it: https://goo.gl/maps/gLs1s Where to park: Park in La Jolla village, around Blue Bird Lane. Walk down to Spindrift (< 1mile) from there.
Running LJ Half & Related Training?
Many of us are running LJ Half, many are not. If this is your goal race, then this is the big final push and Taper. If you are continuing on to the RnR race AND running LJ Half, you have a choice if you want to push hard or not. If you are NOT running the race, but continuing onto the RnR, then you have a slightly different path:
- LJHM Only – You are in Taper mode. You will do NO more hardcore specialty runs such as Hills or mega V02max sprint workouts. You are tapering down.
- LJHM + RnR – You have a choice. If you are going to run hard, follow a taper for the most part and then do the race. Plan on a quick week reverse taper to get back into things. If you are just going to do it for some practice, then you won’t have to taper as much and you’ll want to “get back on it” very quickly after the race.
- No LJHM, RnR Only – You will still practice an active “Recovery Week” this week, but then be ready to push on next week. Plan on doing a LONG run next weekend (4/28/14) which I’ll have more details out soon.
Remember, running very hard (hard training runs or racing) – is very stressful to the body so you HAVE to actively plan your schedules around the types of running you’re doing.)
This Week’s Training
As I mentioned above, we are in a recovery week. In regards to training, means that your overall weekly mileage will be less and we will not be doing any specialty runs or workouts. It is designed to give your body and mind a rest we have been pounding the pavement pretty hard recently. Some notable items for each group:
- Run/Walkers (ALL) – No change this week. LONG run will be DOWN to 100/120.
- Intermediate RnR HALF – No changes to mid-week runs. Long run will be DOWN to 9-10 mi.
- Intermediate LJ Half – Race week / Taper week.
- Intermediate FULL – No changes to mid-week runs. Long run will be DOWN to 11-12 mi.
- Advanced Runners – No changes to mid-week runs. Long run will be DOWN to 15-16 mi.
Upcoming Group Runs & Clinics
Below are the run maps* and the group run locations. At the very bottom of this email are detailed instructions on the meeting locations.
Saturday @ 7:30am - Silver Strand from Coronado
Starting at Tidelands Park in Coronado, run the popular pathway clockwise till you get to the Hotel Del then verge off the usual path to head out South down the Silver Strand. Hit your half way point? Turnaround and come home. (Mapped up to 11mi one way, 22mi round trip)
- Meet: Tidelands Park, Coronado - http://g.co/maps/jufrc
- Run: Silver Strand from Coronado http://bit.ly/11MC1Gb
Please let us know if you have questions.
See ya out there!
Detailed Meeting Locations
This is where we will meet on Tuesday and/or Saturday. Don’t get lost :)
Coronado, Tidelands Park
2099 Mullinex Dr, Coronado, CA 92118
Coming from San Diego over Coronado Bridge, stay in far right lane, exit Glorietta Blvd, right onto Mullinex into park, all the way to end. We're in the far East end of the park, along the water's edge, towards the bridge. There are restrooms and water fountains.
*This is a great run, but a busy area and limited parking. Tidelands park can be a madhouse on Saturday Mornings as there are ball fields out there and the Saturday Morning Soccer moms can be out in force. If you’re not “early”, plan to park out on Mullinex Rd, or possibly even further – meaning you could be faced with a good hike, meaning you have to get there earlier than normal.